As we mark the first official day of Spring, Vandalia residents are reminded that lawn-mowing season is right around the corner. Please remember that Vandalia requires property owners to keep lawns free of noxious weeds and trimmed at a height of less than 8 inches.
1482.10 EXTERIOR PROPERTY AREAS.
(a) Sanitation. All exterior property and premises shall be maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary condition and free of rubbish. The occupant shall keep that part of the exterior property which such occupant occupies or controls in a clean and sanitary condition.
(1) Vegetation. All land shall be properly maintained, with lawns, hedges, bushes, tree lawns, trees and other vegetation to be trimmed and kept from becoming overgrown and unsightly. Leaves shall be raked and disposed of to avoid unreasonable accumulation where such leaves are exposed to public view or where they may constitute a blighting influence on adjoining property.
(2) Driveways, walks and tree lawns. All driveways, walkways and tree lawns shall be kept in a proper state of repair and maintained free of hazardous conditions. For the purposes of this chapter, the words “exterior property” and “premises” shall include the strip of land sometimes referred to as the park lawn or tree lawn (i.e. the portion of a right-of-way between the curb, or the paved street if there is no curb, and the sidewalk) and any other unpaved portion of a right-of-way which abuts property of an owner. Accordingly, the owner shall be responsible for causing such unpaved right-of-way to comply with the maintenance requirements of this chapter.
(b) Grading and Drainage. All premises shall be graded and maintained to prevent the erosion of soil and to prevent the accumulation of stagnant water thereon, or within any structure located thereon, with the exception of water retention areas and reservoirs approved by the Code Official.
(c) Sidewalks and Driveways. All sidewalks, walkways, stairs, driveways, parking spaces and similar areas shall be kept in a proper state of repair, and maintained free from hazardous conditions. Stairs shall comply with the requirements of Sections 1482.11(j)
(1) Public sidewalks to be cleaned of ice and snow. It shall be the duty of the owner, or of the occupant (if he or she shall be a person other than the owner) of each and every parcel of real estate in the City abutting upon any public sidewalk to keep the public sidewalk abutting his or her premises free and clear of snow and ice, and to remove all snow and ice accumulated thereon within a reasonable time, which will ordinarily not exceed 12 hours after the abatement of any storm during which snow and ice may have accumulated.
(d) Weeds. All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of eight inches and shall be cut in accordance with paragraph (d)(3) hereof regardless of height. All noxious weeds shall be prohibited. Weeds shall be defined as all grasses , annual plants and vegetation, other than trees or shrubs, provided, however, that this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens.
(1) Large lots. All lots within the City of Vandalia having an area of one acre or greater shall be kept mowed a distance of at least fifty feet from all property lines and street rights of way or easements given for roadway purposes. The entire lot shall be kept mowed for lots with an area less than one acre. In either case, the area between the right of way and the edge of the pavement shall also be maintained in accordance with this section.
(2) Lots in subdivisions. Lots within the limits of active subdivisions shall meet the requirements of the subdivision regulations. Upon completion of the subdivision, as determined by release of all performance and maintenance bonds, said lot shall meet the requirements of this Code.