The Traffic Safety Program (TSP) enables approved defendants, who have voluntarily entered a Plea of Guilty to a minor misdemeanor traffic citation issued within the jurisdiction of the Vandalia Municipal Court, to have their cases dismissed upon successful completion of the Program and payment of the Program fee.
Eligible defendants have an opportunity to attend a course as approved by the Vandalia Municipal Court. The class will provide helpful driving tips on a variety of topics related to the safe operation of a motor vehicle. Upon successful completion of the 2-hour TSP class, and documentation submitted, the Court will dismiss the traffic case resulting in no points on the defendant’s record.
The Prosecutor’s Office or the Court may review and refer cases to determine eligibility for the Traffic Safety Program. The minimum criteria for participating in the Traffic Safety Program are:
- A two-point minor misdemeanor traffic violation with no accompanying criminal charges (Reckless Operation with approval by a Judge, Magistrate or Prosecutor);
- The traffic case does not involve an accident or property damage;
- The defendant has not participated in the Traffic Safety Program within the last 24 months;
- A valid driver’s license at the time of the plea;
- DID NOT HOLD A COMMERCIAL DRIVER’S LICENSE (CDL) AT TIME OF VIOLATION. .
THE STEPS OF THE TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM
- Defendant is referred for the Traffic Safety Program by the Prosecutor or the Court;
- Defendant is advised of the terms and conditions of the Traffic Safety Program;
- Defendant enters a conditional guilty plea and signs the form agreeing to participate in the Traffic Safety Program;
- The Court Stays Defendant’s Sentence of Fines and Costs;
- Defendant pays the $155.00 TSP fee within 30 days;
- After paying the TSP fee, Defendant schedules and attends the TSP class and submits the certificate of completion within 45 days.
NO CONTINUANCES WILL BE ACCEPTED AND NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN FOR MISSED TSP CLASSES. THE $155.00 TSP FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
FAILING TO COMPLETE THE TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM
- Defendant fails to pay the $155.00 Traffic Safety Program fee within 30 days;
- Defendant fails to schedule and attend the TSP class within 45 days after payment of the program fee;
- Defendant fails to submit documentation of completion to the Court.
CONSEQUENCES OF FAILING TO COMPLETE TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM
- Conviction will be forwarded to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, where points will be added to the defendant’s driving record;
- Failure to pay program cost will result in your owing fines and court costs in an amount equal to what is normally processed by the waiver bureau;
- Non-payment of fines and court costs will result in a warrant block being issued after the 45 days has passed, which prohibits you from renewing your operator’s license and/or vehicle registration.
CONDITIONAL GUILTY PLEA REFERRAL AND ENTRY FORM